- Culture of safety. A goal of zero accidents. Ever.
- Culture of environmental awareness. Because scrap yards help save the Earth.
- Culture of integrity. We follow strict standards for what materials we will accept.
- Culture of giving back. Supporting the communities in which we work and live.
Together We Can!
At Metals Recycling Services, we strive to be a good neighbor in the communities in which we do business. For example, all our facilities support local community fire departments, providing space and vehicles for firefighters training with “Jaws of Life”.
We work with fire and police departments, and have developed strong community partnerships with programs like:
- Habitat for Humanity
- Between 2 Rivers – which benefits Wounded Warriors and Hospice
- Ronald McDonald House
Safer for the planet. And your neighborhood.
Of all the relationships we’ve built since 1999, we are most proud of our work with local law enforcement. All across the nation, our employees are teaming up with local police officers and elected officials to tackle the important issue of combating metal theft. For starters, we digitally record every single transaction in our facilities. Police use this information to identify suspects and help keep crime out of our communities. Serving those who serve and protect.
Working with communities…and the people who protect them.
We are deeply rooted in the communities where we do business and are respected for our integrity. Community residents and leaders know we have strict standards for what materials we’ll accept at our facilities. For example, we have the most comprehensive radiation detection system in the industry and have received awards for our performance in this field. We make it easy for customers to drop off ferrous or nonferrous scrap and get paid quickly and reliably. We also help communities maximize their tax base, while minimizing their local environmental footprint.
Real Recycling Facts
- 2 out of 3 pounds of steel made in the U.S. is manufactured using ferrous scrap
- The United States annually recycles enough ferrous scrap (by weight) to build more than 600 Golden Gate Bridges
- Recycling 1 ton of steel conserves 2,500 pounds or iron ore, 1,400 pounds of coal and 120 pounds of limestone
- The United States annually recycles enough copper to provide the copper content for 25,000 Statues of Liberty
- If all aluminum scrap processed in the United States were used solely to produce standard soda cans, the lined-up cans would stretch 25 million miles – the distance from Earth to Venus
- In 2012, the United States aluminum can recycling rate hit a 20-year high
- Approximately 67% of the aluminum used in North America is from domestically recycled content
- Of an estimated total 700 million tons of aluminum produced in the world since commercial manufacturing began in the 1880s, about 75% is still in productive use as secondary raw material
- Scrap recycling reduces greenhouse gas emission by requiring significantly less energy to manufacture products from recyclables than directly from iron ore and by avoiding landfilling
- Energy saved using recycled materials versus virgin materials is up to:
- 92% for aluminum
- 90% for copper
- 56% for iron and steel
Sure, there are tons of environmental benefits to recycling scrap metal. Over 70 million tons to be exact – the amount of scrap recycled in the USA every year. But we think the true measure of our own environmental commitment is how we go about recycling this precious metal in the first place. How we’re continually improving our electrical and mechanical efficiencies and developing better separation processes to extract every ounce of metal in the recycling process. And how we are reducing the volume of materials sent to landfills. Our goal is zero waste.
We are deeply rooted in the communities where we do business and are respected for our sustainability and our environmentally sound practices. All MRS recycling facilities are environmentally safe operations, fully complying with all EPA regulations. This assures all of our customers that their scrap will be handled in an environmentally safe manner.
A Commitment to Safety
With our overriding goal of zero accidents, we have comprehensive safety procedures in place at all our facilities. This includes ongoing training to ensure the safety of all employees, customers, suppliers and visitors. Metal Recycling Services works to create an environment to help eliminate industrial and environmental hazards for our employees and our customers. Our safety program is successful thanks to company-wide staff commitment and to its strong, continuing safety culture. By taking a proactive rather than a reactive approach, we reduce accidents, and strive to prevent them all together. In fact, most of our facilities have gone multiple years with no injuries.
North Carolina Gold Award for Safety
Metal Recycling Services (MRS) – Monroe won the prestigious North Carolina Department of Labor (NCDOL)’s Gold level “Certificate of Safety Achievement” for 2016. The award recognizes Monroe’s outstanding safety and health efforts and the promotion of safe working conditions. This places MRS in a select group of businesses and public agencies in North Carolina.
The annual awards program, run by the NCDOL, recognizes companies that strive to excel in safety. In order to qualify for the Gold award, each company must have ten or more full time employees, must have had zero lost time accidents, and must have achieved incident rates 50% below industry average.
The Nucor President’s Safety Award
Our commitment to safety helped Metal Recycling Services to earn the Nucor President’s Safety Award. This prestigious accolade is presented annually to Nucor affiliates with accident rates below 1/3 of the recycling industry average. Metal Recycling Services employees are proud to have earned this award, yet the goal remains to be even better every year.
Taking Pride in Our Communities
At Metal Recycling Services, we’ve built a reputation for integrity, reliability and honesty with our suppliers. And, as a good corporate citizen, we take seriously our responsibilities to preserve and protect the environment, provide a safe workplace and give back to the communities in which we do business. We are a role model in the scrap industry, recognized as a leader in safety and environmental stewardship. As such, we provide community awareness and student education, utilize state of the art technologies, provide a safe environment for employees and customers, and strive to be as “green” as possible.